Monday, March 8, 2010

Pasta Salad

I started this week’s cooking with great gusto in the morning. It is a simple pasta salad (well what do you expect after a weekend of sloth, alcohol, binging and an impulsive decision to write this blog?). So, once I got over my morning’s lethargy, I stated work on my salad only to realize I had nothing but pasta and lettuce at home! I dragged my half-asleep self to a small but sufficiently stocked vegetable shop near my place to get what I need. There are times I actually prefer these shops to large super markets. Not just because they have more character, but also because they “Know their customers” better and actually end up stocking fresher vegetables that get replenished every day.


Well…here goes!


Cooking Time: 7-8 Mins
Serves 4 People (..well 2 if they are greedy)

Ingredients

For salad:

1 Cup Pasta (Penne, Fuseli or any short pasta of your choice)
¼ Cup Cubed Cucumber
¼ Cup Diced Red, Green and/or Yellow Pepper
¼ Cup Sliced Baby Corn
1 Medium Firm Tomato Cubed
½ Cup of mixed Lettuce (torn into bite sized pieces, sliced finely if Iceberg Lettuce is used)

For dressing:

Juice of 1 Lime - Should be around 1 tbs of lime juice)
3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Small pod of garlic minced
1 Tbs Honey (optional)
1 tsp Mustard paste
Sea Salt and Chili Flakes according to taste


Cook the pasta ‘Al-Dente’. I follow the cook time recommended on the cover of the Pasta and it works perfectly. As soon as it is cooked, strain using a colander and let it cool down.

Once the pasta is cooled, toss together all the ingredients for the salad.

Take a bowl and whisk together the ingredients for the dressing until it reaches a smooth and creamy texture.

Pour the dressing over the salad, toss together and serve chilled.

I love being creative with my salad dressing. The basic element of the dressing involves the sour ingredient (lime, vinegar etc) and the fat (Olive oil, salad oil, cream) in the ratio of 1:3. The flavor can then be enhanced using herbs and spices according to ones choice. This salad dressing is something that I have tried and tested over time using any number of different types of ingredients. In fact, I like making a bottle of this dressing and keep it handy in my fridge for times when I get back home late and want to put something together quickly.

And when I came back home that is exactly what I did. I quickly assembled the salad, grilled some bread grabbed my book (Pride and Prejudice - Yeah…yeah…it is the 100th time!). Hmmm…hmmm…is there anything better than a cold salad, warm crunchy garlic bread and a good read? Yummmmy!

If you are taking this for lunch, pack the dressing separately and mix together just before eating.

Tomorrow, I look forward to make my own version of “Creamy spinach pasta”.

1 comment:

  1. Woman!!! You better not have finished that salad!! Congratulations, and can't wait for day 2!!

    ReplyDelete